About connectFirst Credit Union
As a credit union, we’re different than a bank – and we like it that way.
At connectFirst, we spend our days helping our members achieve their financial aspirations through a community-focused approach to banking that’s true to our co-operative principles. You’re our member, not a number. We’re your neighbours and your partner. Over 80 years ago we started from humble beginnings. Through the years, we’ve grown to become one of Alberta’s leading financial institutions through a desire to connect the dots between your dreams, your goals, your community, and your financial wellness and we echo these desires through our new, consolidated connectFirst brand.
We believe that banking is about more than money – it’s a cornerstone of every vibrant community and that our members should expect us to positively impact the financial success and viability of the communities that we call home. We invest meaningfully in the potential and well-being of our employees, and what matters most to our members. We have honest conversations about real things, as real people. Our members are owners, they have a say in how we operate, they earn dividends on common shares and investment shares, and they have access to an extensive array of financial products and services.
- Our mission: Make money make a difference.
- Our vision: Do what’s right for every member.
- Our values: Think big, act local, take charge, and make it easy.
We’re committed to providing remarkable experiences to our members, our communities, and our employees, and we’re proud to be regarded as one of the best:
- Named among Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures™ by Waterstone Human Capital
- Recipient of Canada’s Best Managed Companies award for 21 consecutive years
- $12.3 billion book of business (Deposits=45%, Loans=43%, Wealth Management=10%, Syndicated Loans=2%)
- 750 employees
This position is responsible for developing and recommending solutions that are demonstrative of operational excellence and align to connectFirst’s key business strategies and long-term sustained growth plans. This role is responsible for the identification of opportunities and risks, and for developing, recommending and implementing programs to manage risk and optimize opportunities. This role will report directly to the SVP, Credit Risk, while having broad responsibility to internal stakeholder groups.
- Is the Divisional owner of the various credit-related policies including but not limited to Credit Risk Oversight Policy and the Operational Lending Policies.
- Evaluates, reviews, develops, recommends and supports the implementation of effective programs, policies and procedures for the lending lines of business.
- Be a subject matter expert on policies and ensure they are compliant with the Credit Union Act and the Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation’s guidelines
- Manage a team of professionals who are responsible for the credit risk administration of the credit union, including loan compliance personnel, loan systems personnel and risk data experts.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyses data and information to provide insights, assistance and recommendations and present to various levels of partners, leadership including the executive leadership team.
- Assists with Credit Report preparation for various functions within the lines of business.
- Evaluates and recommends adjustments to systems, processes, reports and forms; develops and supports the implementation of appropriate tools and templates relating to all activities.
- Contributes to the design of solutions integrating service delivery between the lines of business and internal stakeholders, with a focus on delivering a superior member experience.
- Works with internal stakeholders to develop segmented solutions for the lines of business.
- Supports all Risk Division leaders with the completion of departmental risk initiatives, risk self assessments and risk workshops in order to identify risks with a broad range of internal stakeholders, highlight operational deficiencies and areas of improvement for the lending lines of business.
- Researches and recommends appropriate risk appetite modifications.
- Supports the development of business plans and programs, presenting and rationalizing new product offerings, new target industries, or revised approaches to existing offerings and markets.
- Is responsible for conducting external market research and competitive analysis regarding the credit union’s credit risk management practices
- Ensures compliance with the organization’s and CUDGC’s policies and guidelines.
- Works collaboratively with others on specific organization wide projects/initiatives.
- Scan loan review, credit quality, and scorecard data on a regular basis to identify existing and potential issues.
- In all areas, identify potential issues/constraints that may impact the implementation success of any initiative, which includes identifying communication and training needs for the operational areas affected by risk/credit strategies and policies.
- Provide various quarterly reports and analysis on credit quality and effectiveness
- Identify, create and implement plans directed at addressing credit quality issues on a proactive basis.
- Participate in the development of various credit products, programs and initiatives.
- Interact with the LOB’s to understand their current challenges and issues, and work with them to resolve these all while also respecting the needs of the member and cFCU.
- Perform industry research where appropriate which will include developing and maintaining relationships with industry contacts and networks.
Experience and/or Educational Requirements:
- 8 years of experience in commercial banking, with preference given to a balance between member experience and credit roles.
- Experience in retail banking considered a strong asset5+ years of experience in a compliance, risk management or internal audit role.
- Completed a relevant certificate, diploma, degree or designation program.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and regulation relating to credit and collections environment. Specifically, relevant sections of the Credit Union Act and other applicable legislation, Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation policies and direction, Connect First policies and lending procedures, lending authorities and limits.
Skills and Competencies:
- Exceptional interpersonal effectiveness skills; able to quickly build relationships with others
- Excellent computer skills; able to pick up new and existing programs related to the role or assigned project quickly.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to analyze data and present recommendations based on insights and research.
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness.
- Strong understanding of Credit Union business processes including back-end administration and payment.
- Excels at working under pressure and under tight timelines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to tailor content for a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and manage projects/initiatives of varying complexity.
- Excellent relationship management skills in order to interact with cross functional teams, external partners, and various stakeholders.
- High results-driven and self-motivated individual.
- Makes sound decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, policies, procedures, experience, and judgment.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Advanced knowledge of commercial lines of business
- Mental toughness and ability to effectively negotiate and influence multiple stakeholders to reach a satisfactory conclusion on project-level initiatives.
- Remains current on emerging legislative and regulatory changes within field of expertise and
- Excellent report writing skills.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note applications will only be accepted online and only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.