We are looking for a Controller to join our growing team at Dexcent. This important role will support both our Canadian and USA businesses, and will be a hands on, enthusiastic member of our leadership team. This position can be completed remotely, with occasional in person meetings, etc.
Founded in 2006, Dexcent Inc. (Dexcent) is an engineering consulting firm that provides a range of specialized solutions for clients in a variety of industries throughout the world. Our professionals have modernized IT and OT engineering methodologies into comprehensive solutions, specializing in information analytics, cyber-security, infrastructure, and control systems engineering. As such, we pride ourselves on truly transforming industrial operations to optimize business performance and deliver bottom-line results.
About the Candidate
Our ideal candidate has:
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) is required.
- At least 8 years of progressing full-cycle accounting experience in a services-based business.
- Exceptional excel skills, including advanced functions and formulas.
- Bachelor’s degree in commerce or business administration is preferred.
- History of continuing professional development and training in accounting and payroll practices is preferred.
About the Role
The Controller is a strategic member of leadership team, leading and collaborating on forecasting, long range planning, and decision-making to develop financial and business strategies and resolve business challenges. They are responsible to implement and manage financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. This position accurately completes full-cycle accounting functions including, A/P, A/R, collections, budgeting, forecasting and analysis, and prepares financial reports and statements.
- Lead, influence and collaborate with the executive team on strategy development, execution planning, and annual budgeting, providing market and competitor intelligence.
- Analyze results against budget and forecasts to identify variances, year-end costs, trends and determine historical costs utilized in future financial models/reports.
- Provide leadership to executives and project managers/leads in the development of financial deliverables that align with corporate directives and policies.
- Provide financial analytics, advice and assistance in the development of sound defensible business cases for new or revised initiatives.
- Actively review, challenge and participate alongside executives and managers in their evaluation of department goals, outcomes, targets and business strategies. This includes understanding clients’ businesses, evaluating financial implications, while providing guidance on targets and consistently applying corporate policy and strategic direction.
- Effectively communicate strategic plans and business goals to team members, motivate and empower them to contribute to the company’s success.
- In collaboration with the executive team, evaluate, launch, integrate and lead new ventures (divisions, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, etc.) as appropriate.
- Establish, monitor and maintain key business metrics, with a drive for continuous improvement.
- Oversee financial and accounting functions, including banking, reporting, forecasts, purchasing, and completion of fiscal year end, etc.
- Responsible to hire, lead, engage, develop, performance manage, retain and terminate direct reports in alignment with Dexcent policies and values, creating a culture that is rooted in strong relationships, passion for the work, innovation, safety, and exceptional service.
- Develop accounting procedures, policies and standards to ensure efficient operations and regularly review the effectiveness of implemented policies and procedures.
- Foster a spirit of innovation and continuous improvement; provide opportunities for team members to suggest cost savings options and work environment improvements.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting, payroll and financial functions.
- Ensure that monthly financial statements are prepared accurately and timely, and monitor performance against annual budgets, advising executives of risks and financial issues.
- Generate and deliver monthly management reports and other reports required to support managerial decision-making, including cash flow, sales and gross margin reports, etc.
- Perform fiscal year-end accounting close outs and prepare files for external accountant, make year-end adjustments identified by accountant.
- Ensure accuracy of bank reconciliations, bank deposits and proactively monitor transactions and balances.
- Confirm accuracy of journal entries, monitor the general ledger and balance all accounts.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payments for all vendor invoices; validate against packing slips/delivery confirmation and purchase orders as applicable.
- Effectively manage accounts receivable; address customer invoice questions, prepare statements, make collections calls and complete cash applications.
- Lead/participate in ERP system upgrades and implementation of new accounting and related modules.
- Ensure accurate payroll processing, including all appropriate deductions, remittances, T4’s, T2200, etc.
At Dexcent we recognize that people are our most important asset. We appreciate the diverse experience, knowledge, creativity, and personality that each person brings to our organization, our culture, and our success. If this sounds like the right career opportunity for you, apply today!
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Accounting: 8 years (preferred)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (preferred)