About the Organization
Since 1983, Ronald McDonald House BC & Yukon has provided a home-away-from-home for families with children who have been diagnosed with life-threatening illnesses and are receiving treatment at BC Children’s, BC Women’s and Surrey Memorial Hospitals. The House provides a nurturing and supportive environment where families can heal together. In addition, we operate a 2,000 square foot Family Room in Surrey Memorial Hospital, providing families a medical-free space to rest and retreat while steps away from their child.
The second largest House in Canada and the fifth largest in the world, RMHBC will continue to grow to meet the needs of families in BC and Yukon through the addition of Family Rooms and a focus on expanding our reach throughout the communities we serve.
About the Position
The Family Service Associate is the first line of contact with families accessing the Family Room. Positioned at the front desk – which is the “Hub”, this role ensures a warm welcome, for an exceptional family experience. This role supports the coordination of family arrivals, check-ins/outs, making sure all registration materials are ready and completed in a manner consistent with current policy and procedures. The Family Service Associate is a part-time position and will also cover vacation and other absences supporting the Family Services team.
This role engages with families, staff, visitors, and donors which requires the ability to interact in a thoughtful, energized, and forward-thinking manner. Preferred candidate is a multifaceted person who is self-confident, outgoing, empathetic, flexible, well-organized, patient, team-oriented and imaginative with a knack for both detail and spontaneity.
At the Family Room, the Associate will also be responsible for administration and oversight related to family overnight stays in the four (4) guestrooms, light housekeeping and working with volunteers.
The Family Room is open seven days a week. In August, we anticipate expanding our opening hours to 9am-9pm. We have morning, afternoon and evening shifts available.
Guest Relations, Front Desk
- Meet and greet families to ensure a welcoming and seamless check-in for guests who stay.
- Support and organize daily administrative operations functions, answer family questions, provide amenities to families as needed.
- Help families to complete forms & consents and agreements to conditions of stay as needed
- Update data base, shift notes, other administrative duties as needed
- Receive incoming phone calls and answer questions, remembering that every call may be that of a donor, family in need or hospital staff.
- Provide orientation to families to ensure compliance with policies when needed
- Liaise with families, social workers/hospital staff, (Family Room: housekeeping staff, hospital representatives, donors) and others when needed
- Orient new families and in the Family Room, to the sleeping rooms as per orientation procedures.
Housekeeping at the Family Room
- Support existing relationships with hospital cleaning staff.
- Oversee cleaners to ensure maintenance of standards.
- Do laundry of bedding and towels as needed.
- Refresh the four (4) guest rooms, including changing and making beds as needed.
- Clean common area and keep tidy as needed.
Administration, Volunteers, Day Use at the Family Room
- Support and supervise volunteers.
- Ensure security entry and liaise with hospital security of any concerns.
- Data base entries and statistic report preparation/writing
- Respond to emergencies in a timely manner and complete related incident reports for review by the Senior Director, Family Services and Family Room Senior Coordinator.
- Adhere to safety and emergency procedures
- Register and orientate day users
Job Specific Competencies and Skills
- Alignment with the mission and values of Ronald McDonald House BC and Yukon
- Ability to represent the House & Family Room with a polished, positive, and professional demeanor and attitude at all times. Acts with honesty and integrity in all matters
- Proficiency in Microsoft productivity suite (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point).
- Committed to working cooperatively in a team environment with staff, volunteers, families, donors, and the public as well as independently and is self-motivated
- Self-confident, excellent oral and written communication skills, demonstrated customer service experience
- Self-motivated, observant, detail-oriented and ability to prioritize, enjoys multi-tasking and can take initiative and meet deadlines, is well organized
- Compassion – is empathetic and acts in a caring and inclusive way towards all guests, volunteers, and co-workers, regardless of relationships to them and without regard to any individual differences.
- Adaptability – Is open to and embraces change and new ideas. Demonstrates flexibility in doing things differently. Can adapt quickly without reservation. Is supportive and consistently reliable to execute changes in methodology or process
- Learning on the fly – Learns quickly when facing new projects. Is eager, curious and asks questions. Takes notice of the environment and how it can be improved. Is willing to try new things.
- Problem Solving – Good listen skills and find effective solutions to problems; demonstrates ownership, is proactive and resourceful. A creative thinker who can carefully analyze a situation and has the determination to resolve issues effectively
- Ability to communicate and act calmly to support families who are under stressful situations with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
Experience and Educational Requirement, Other
- Previous office, customer service, hospitality, social services experience
- Relevant experience in working with people from diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, families in crisis, semi-medical environment, and understanding of non-profit community
- Experience working with those in high stress medical need/situations
- Must have annual Flu Shot, be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and other updated vaccinations as required of the staff at Surrey Memorial Hospital in addition to mask mandate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Please note: all successful candidates will be required to undergo a vulnerable sector criminal record check.