The University of Medicine and Health Sciences-St. Kitts (UMHS) invites applications for a faculty position in Histology at all ranks. UMHS is a state of the art medical school located on the exotic Caribbean Island of St. Kitts. Faculty have a unique opportunity to become involved in the growth and success of the institution, and most importantly the opportunity to educate and nurture a new generation of physicians prepared to meet the 21st century health care delivery in a rapidly changing world.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will be responsible for team teaching a course in Histology offered in the first year. The UMHS calendar year has three fifteen week semesters, with two to three weeks break between semesters for faculty leave.
- Developing and providing students with approved syllabi and learning objectives.
- Organizing, preparing, and regularly updating course content.
- Delivering effective lectures in the classroom and laboratory utilizing a variety of teaching techniques and state of the art teaching technologies.
- Preparing and administering examinations, grading in a timely manner, and providing feedback to students.
- Focusing on student success by being available to students during non-teaching time.
- Serving on faculty committees.
- Supervising students in a variety of activities, including but not limited to, problem based learning activities, human-computer simulation activities in the UMHS virtual hospital ward, and activities in local clinical settings.
Course Description: Histology 5 credits This course centers on the study of the microscopic structure of normal human cells, tissues, and organs. Virtual microscopy is used to study the structure of basic tissue types and their integration into organs and organ systems. The lectures correlate microscopic and gross anatomy with basic histophysiology and function of organ systems. On completion, the student must be able to identify, describe, and give function of cells, tissues, structures, and organs of the human body presented via lecture and digital imagery. Students must complete specific performance objectives which accompany individual lecture segments, and, where appropriate, be able to integrate histology with other classes of the curriculum.
- US tax free foreign earned income up to ninety thousand dollars a year.
- Health Insurance plan, University paid for employee and available to spouse and children at employee’s expense
- Participation in faculty continuing education or national conference in the US once annually.
- Modern, state of the art campus and facilities in which to teach and conduct research.
- Must have a passion for teaching
- Minimum of an earned Ph.D. in Histology from an accredited graduate school in the U.S., Canada, or the U.K.
- Ideally three to five years of experience teaching Histology in a U.S., Canadian, or U.K. medical program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English
About UMHS: UMHS offers a traditional four year Allopathic Doctor of Medicine leading to the M.D. degree. The university operates year round and offers three semesters per calendar year which start in January, May, and September. Students complete the Basic Science Program at the UMHS at our state of the art campus in St Kitts. The fifth semester occurs at the UMHS campus in Portland, Maine. Students complete their third year of core clinical rotations and fourth year of elective rotations in one of our many affiliated, accredited teaching hospitals throughout the United States. To graduate, students must successfully complete the UMHS medical program and pass the USMLE Step1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS. UMHS graduates are eligible to apply for a US or Canadian residency and subsequently may practice medicine in the United States and Canada.UMHS utilizes innovative teaching techniques such as a 24-bed virtual hospital, small class sizes with individualized attention, and the use of technology to enhance instruction.
The faculty is highly credentialed and recruited primarily from the United States.
Send letter of interest, CV, and references to
Dr. Jerry Thornton, Executive Vice President
firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com
See more at: http://www.umhs-sk.org
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V