Position Title: Manager Operations
Requisition ID: 29290
Career Group (ADSP): Distribution Center
Division: Logistics and Distribution (80190524)
Department: Logistics and Distribution
Province: Canada : Ontario
Position Type: Permanent
This position is responsible for the direction of Shift Supervisors and co-ordination of day-to-day activities to achieve required safety, quality, service, productivity and financial objectives.
- Oversee all operational aspects of the facility in order to manage and improve the flow of goods in and out of the Distribution Center.
- Provide alignment of receiving, loading, selection and shipment of all distribution center product.
- Responsible for successful execution of key performance indicators (KPI’s), monitoring operating cost performance and implementing actions to correct deviations from plan.
- Collaborate with various departments to develop and implement operational improvements to deliver year over year KPI improvements.
- Collaborate with maintenance to ensure facility and equipment maintenance meets required standards.
- Effectively manage all inquiries of internal and external customers (Employee or store level feedback, service opportunities, and product integrity).
- Responsible for engaging the operations team to utilize data and analytical tools to identify losses and develop/implement continuous improvement plans.
- Directly responsible for leading Operation Supervisors spanning multiple shifts in a 24/7 operating facility with a span of control of approximately 200-500 unionized personnel (Selectors, Receivers, Fork Lift Operators).
- Set and enforce work performance and operating standards for all employees and supervisors and providing training and development to maximize productivity and enhance proficiency.
- Promote a strong sense of teamwork and a culture of respect by working together safely, effectively, and efficiently with all employees to maintain a productive and participatory environment.
- Lead and hold team accountable to the established reliability and productivity guidelines to provide timely delivery and accurate inventory.
- Responsible for planning and forecasting staff requirements, conduct regular one on one meetings with direct reports and effectively manage performance, and assist in grievance resolution in conjunction with Labour Relations and in accordance to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Lead and support the implementation of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Motivate team members to meet the challenges of an extremely deadline-driven environment.
Health & Safety
- Enforce all health and workplace safety standards to ensure a healthy and safe work environment.
- Ensure all incident reports are completed in a timely and accurate manner and that appropriate corrective measures are implemented to prevent reoccurrence.
- Collaborate with the Health & Safety team and other stakeholders to proactively develop improved safety processes and best practices.
- Distribution Centre environment operating 24/7
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripheral devices.
- May be exposed to extreme temperatures and extended periods of walking and standing.
- Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and related work experience required.
- Education preferred in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, or Business Administration.
- 6-10 years management experience in a unionized distribution, warehouse or logistics environment.
- Experience interpreting a collective bargaining agreement and high-level participation in grievance.
- Proficiency with MS Office, Warehouse Management System and SAP.
- Lean Six Sigma training preferred or equivalent experience in driving results through transformations CI initiatives.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively multitask.
- Distribution Centres staff and management
- Store operations
- Procurement and store support department staff and senior management
- Suppliers, vendors and Government departments
Metro values, respects and leverages the differences and competences of all employees from a variety of different backgrounds. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment.
Metro is committed to accommodating applicants and employees with disabilities. Should you require an accommodation or wish to receive this application in an accessible format, please advise.
Only applicants that meet the qualifications will be contacted.
We respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from agencies.