SideFX is currently looking for an intern with strong computer animation and VFX skills to assist with skill development in the Houdini community. In this position, you can expect to deepen your knowledge of high-end computer animation and visual effects for use in Film, Television or Gamedev, while working with impassioned, talented colleagues who are proud to create industry-leading 3D computer graphics technology for top studios from around the world.
Please note that a valid proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination series is an employment requirement.
Note: In order to keep all of our employees and candidates safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, SideFX is hiring and onboarding remotely. Candidates must be eligible and willing to work in Toronto, Canada once pandemic restrictions are lifted, and SideFX deems it’s safe to return to the office. In the meantime, remote locations permitted for this role include Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec in Canada – and California, Oklahoma, Texas, New York, Arizona, Kansas and Florida in the United States.
Key Duties & Responsibilities*
As part of the SideFX marketing team, you will be responsible for:
- Contributing to SideFX’s goals for building skills in the marketplace
- Developing visually appealing artwork that can be used in learning materials
- Documenting the workflows used to create the artwork
- Sharing this knowledge through videos, tutorials and sample files
- Developing content which aligns with marketing goals and objectives
- Communicating effectively with the team at all stages of the production process using storyboards, animatics and dailies
You may also be asked to:
- Assist in hands-on training
- Participate in educational presentations at online events or trade shows
- Help support key customers
- Other duties as assigned
- Adjustments will be made to enable duties & responsibilities to be met working remotely considering the current Covid-19 pandemic situation.
- You have 2-4 years experience using Houdini in school projects
- You have a portfolio of work which demonstrates an accomplished set of Houdini skills and a strong visual aesthetic
- Good communication skills, including writing, verbal and graphic/visual, and excellent attention to detail
- You are a highly motivated self-starter, who is comfortable organizing and working with little supervision while meeting deadlines.
- You have created and published online tutorials either written or video-based
- You have a working knowledge of Adobe’s Creative Suite including Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere video editing software
- You have a working knowledge of other CG applications such as Unreal Engine, Unity, Substance Designer, Autodesk Maya or 3ds Max
We appreciate interest from all candidates, but only those with previous Houdini experience will be considered.
To apply for this role you will have to provide examples of past work, including breakdowns explaining how Houdini was used, when applying.
For over thirty years, SideFX has been providing artists with procedural 3D animation and visual effects tools designed to create the highest-quality cinematic results. We are passionate about what our customers do because our roots are in production, both as artists and as pioneering technical innovators.
SideFX has been recognized by the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Science multiple times – including with an Oscar® – for the development of our Houdini software, and its breakthrough procedural-based technology.
Houdini is used by the world’s top film, TV, and game studios to create blockbuster movies like Spider-Man, The Lion King and Godzilla vs. Kong, TV shows like The Crown, Game of Thrones and S.W.A.T., and video games like Ghost Recon, Far Cry and Age of Empires. Our customers include Disney Feature Animation, Pixar, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Weta Digital, Electronic Arts, Microsoft Game Studios, and many more.
What We Value Most:
- Decency: We treat everyone with honesty, kindness and empathy. We give generously of our time and knowledge
- Relationships: We build collaborative bonds—with our co-workers and clients—based on trust and respect. Our diverse team gives us broader perspectives
- Dedication: We take pride and ownership in our work, always trying to do our best. We are devoted to the well-being and success of each other and our clients
- Excellence: We continually improve ourselves, our work and our company, striving towards excellence in all that we do