Kick start a new and exciting career as the Park-Wide Internal Auditor of Yellowstone National Park!
We are looking for a self-motivated leader with a strong background in auditing or accounting to lead the park’s Internal Audit function! Our operations stretch over 2.2 million acres of breathtaking scenery, amid steam, geysers, trout streams, magnificent wildlife and more. The Internal Auditor is accountable for the cash controls park-wide, developing trustworthy relationships with our management teams across multiple departments, developing and planning internal audit plans for the various locations, and continuous process improvement of Xanterra Travel Collection in Yellowstone.
- Position Type: Full Time Year Round
- Schedule: ~40+ Hours Per Week
- Location: The General Accounting Office is based out of Mammoth Hot Springs in the park
- Housing: Housing is not guaranteed for this position; employee may need to secure housing in Gardiner, Emigrant or Livingston, MT
The Must Haves
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or equivalent.
- 5+ years experience in accounting, preferably in hospitality accounting
- Valid Driver’s License
- Healthcare benefits
- Paid vacation
- Sick Time
- Xanterra Travel Collection discounts
Why Yellowstone National Park Lodges
We are a welcoming community who work hard, share a real passion for the environment, and enjoy crafting memorable experiences for our guests. As part of the Xanterra Travel Collection, we are the primary authorized concessioner in Yellowstone, and as such, we are proud stewards of the park.
- Develop, plan and implement comprehensive internal audit programs and perform requested internal audits for the Yellowstone properties.
- Monitor cash controls in the operating units and accounting departments at the Yellowstone properties.
- Review, establish and evaluate accounting, financial and operational policies and procedures.
- Responsible for developing, revising, and/or editing training manuals and attending required training courses.
- Ensure the performance of surprise house bank audits, shift audits, payroll audits, and compliance audits.
- Review findings and recommend actions to Operations and Accounting Management.
- Responsible for continuous process improvement and streamlining of operations and accounting processes, especially as it relates to maximizing efficiency/effectiveness within the accounting department.
- Develop training materials and train front of the house staff on PCI related topics including handling of lost and found credit cards and tamper awareness for POS terminals.
- Work closely with staff during each season to ensure that procedures are being followed and that required paperwork is completed.
- Supervise employees reporting to this position, including any changes resulting from the restructuring of the accounting department.
- Reconcile assigned balance sheet accounts monthly.
- Participates in the month-end closing process as directed.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related work experience, preferably in hospitality accounting or auditing.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Advanced computer skills in Excel and Word.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- High level of attention to detail and strong emphasis on accuracy.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Comfortable with sitting at a desk the majority of the time.
- Walking, standing and bending when documentation is to be put into or retrieved from filing cabinets.
- Lifting and transporting up to 25 lbs for record storage.
- Ability to drive a vehicle and physically audit our park-wide locations.
- The Internal Auditor has the authority to recommend hiring, firing and disciplinary action for employees in Yellowstone.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.