The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is an independent think tank that delivers the knowledge to act. IISD is looking for a Policy Analyst to join an international team of lawyers, policy advisors, and economists working to change rules and policies on trade and investment in food and agriculture.
- Contribute to the development of our research agenda, particularly at the intersection of agriculture and food systems and climate change.
- Conduct research and policy analysis to inform legal, policy, and institutional reforms for more equitable, sustainable, and resilient agriculture and food systems.
- Author or co-author research papers, policy briefs, articles, and other outputs for publication.
- Provide policy analysis and advice to policy-makers and other stakeholders.
- Monitor international developments, processes, and debates in relevant areas and keep up to date with research in these areas.
- Engage with and contribute to international normative processes and policy debates.
- Represent IISD at relevant events (meetings, forums, conferences, etc.).
- Support the organization of IISD events.
- Promote and disseminate the team’s work, including through social media channels.
- Contribute to building the team’s network of researchers, practitioners, and policy-makers working in relevant areas.
- Liaise with partner institutions and explore and develop opportunities for collaboration.
- Contribute to the development of research proposals.
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- A demonstrated interest in promoting sustainable development and more equitable, sustainable, and resilient agriculture and food systems.
- A degree and post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., public policy, economics, law, politics, international relations, development studies, environment, and climate change).
- Ideally, at least 3 years of experience in an international policy development research environment (e.g., a think tank, university, intergovernmental organization, or civil society organization) conducting applied research and policy analysis, as demonstrated by publications and reports.
- Experience working in—or with a focus on—developing countries, particularly sub-Saharan Africa.
- A good understanding of and experience working on one or more key issues in sustainable development, including agriculture policy; environmental sustainability; climate change; food security and nutrition; sustainable food systems; responsible agricultural investment and environmental, social, and government investing; and agricultural value chains.
- A track record of producing high-quality research and analysis in a short period of time and for different audiences.
- A good understanding of and experience working on issues at the intersection of agriculture and climate change.
- Experience working in or with developing country governments or regional organizations.
- Experience working with other relevant stakeholders, including the private sector, parliamentarians, civil society organizations, research institutes, and intergovernmental organizations.
Skills, competencies, and attributes:
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Excellent analytical, research, and writing skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Strong presentation and networking skills.
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally for work.
- Ability to work effectively in a remote, asynchronous team.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work effectively across different topics and themes at the same time and to pick up knowledge on new topics quickly.
- Ability to work on own initiative and under minimal supervision.
- Strong commitment to the ideals, values, and mission of IISD.
- Fieldwork experience
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Working proficiency in French
For more information on this position and to apply, click the ‘Apply’ button.